For patients suffering from varicose veins or spider veins, it’s easy to feel unattractive or self-conscious. There are a number of reasons people develop this condition, some of which are out of the patient’s control. For anyone suffering from varicose and spider veins, there are effective treatment options available.
What Causes Varicose Veins and Spider Veins?
Varicose veins are swollen, raised blood vessels with an almost knotty appearance. They typically develop in the legs, where they are easily visible twisting and turning under the skin. By contrast, spider veins are much smaller. They can be red, purple, or blue in color and also twist and turn just under the surface of the skin, most commonly on the legs, chest, or face.
Varicose veins can also cause physical discomfort, like aching, cramping, throbbing, tingling, or burning in the legs, which is all the more reason why a patient suffering from them may wish to seek out treatment.
There are several contributing factors that cause a predisposition to developing varicose and spider veins, such as:
- Gender – the condition is more common in woman
- Age – varicose and spider veins tend to develop in older people
- Working in a profession that involves a lot of standing, such as nursing, teaching, factory line work, etc.
- History of blood clots
- Using birth control pills
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy, puberty, or menopause
- Postmenopausal hormone therapy
There are some conservative varicose vein and spider vein treatments the patient can try, like wearing compression stockings and losing any excess weight. If these are ineffective, it may be time to consult the professionals at AP Medical group to learn about possible outpatient treatment options. These include:
- Sclerotherapy – Injections are made directly into the veins that can cause the veins to disappear over a few weeks.
- Radiofrequency occlusion– A small catheter is placed in the vein to deliver radiofrequency energy to the wall of the vein. This causes it to collapse and then seal itself shut.
To learn more about spider vein or varicose vein treatment, or to schedule a consultation, call the professionals at A-P Medical Group at 702-971-3400 today.
A-P Medical Group
2110 E. Flamingo Rd Suite 213 Las Vegas, NV 89119